Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday, August 18, 2010


Did I mention that it got hot today?  This is the temperature in the shade.  My black dog just kind of walks from one shady spot to the next on days like today.


The goat trying on his pack.  Notice that I'm gripping the lead rope with my toes to keep him there.


He didn't seem to be real concerned with it until it started to slip up over his shoulders.  I'm going to have to lengthen the breast strap and butt strap to get it positioned right.  That'll be a good project for tomorrow.


I couldn't tell if the cat was asleep or had passed out from the smell.

Now that's a nice strawberry!




Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Had the normal stuff … feed the chickens and gather the eggs, feed the dog and cat, let the goat out to browse awhile. I spent the morning putting stuff up for sale on Ebay. We’ve been reorganizing and getting rid of the extra stuff we have cluttering up the place. I put an old camcorder up for sale along with a “car wash kit” that was given to us as part of some promotional thing, an antique doll high chair, and three take-down bows. Someone has already met the minimum price of $100.00 on one of the bows within an hour after posting it. (The bows are pictured on yesterday’s blog.) Hopefully we’ll get rid of it all. I took the goat and dog over to feed the buffalo this afternoon. I put an old dog pack on the goat to get it used to carrying a pack but had to take it back off. I’m going to have to lengthen the breast strap and the butt strap. Evidently the goat is longer than a dog would be. I also put a second coat of seam sealer on parts of the tent that are prone to leaking. After dinner this evening I took the truck over to a neighbor’s and filled the barrels with water. We’ll need to water the garden tomorrow. I have the first barrel draining tonight. I’ll get the others draining first thing in the morning.

Susan has been busy with washing and dehydrating huckleberries, cleaning, cleaning and cleaning, she labeled jars and put away dried potatoes, peas and huckleberries, then fattened up the mosquitoes while working in the garden picking peas and harvesting squash and strawberries. Our raspberries haven’t done too well this year. We had to thin a bunch of the bushes last year due to cane borers. Most of the mature vines were cut out and the new growth won’t produce much their first year.

Now we are inside and the mosquitoes are outside … which is the way things should be! (Unless we can figure out how to get rid of the mosquitoes outside too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment