Thursday, August 12, 2010

This is what you'll find in our house this time of year...



Huckleberries in the oven to dry...


]

Huckleberries in the electric dehydrator...


Huckleberries on the floord drying (that screen measures about three feet square)...


The first squash harvested from the garden this year...


Celery leaves - when dried we'll crumble then up and add to soup, etc....


Mint...


More Mint...


Parsley, peas and basil drying on tip of the water reservior above the sink...


Peas drying...


Green onions drying...


Potatoes dried and ready to run through the blender to powder them...


Left from last year.  When we need some more to grind we grab however many we need then shell them and grind them into corn flour ...


Comfrey and Shepherds Purse ...


Arnica ...


Horsetail (AKA Equesita) ...


Self-Heal ...


Strawberry Blite, Mullein, Comfrey, and Yarrow ...

More peas ...


More mint...


Dried peas and huckleberries that are ready to be stored in jars.


Thursday ... It's been raining at times the last three days.  I've been reloading ammo in the early mornings (8:30 - 10:30) then doing stuff around the cabin.  I'm out of IMR 4064 and IMR 3031 powder so I'll have to get some more.  I'm thinking of switching to WW 760 and WW 748, mainly because it flows through the measure better.  I ordered a scope mount from B-Square for my MAK 90.  I installed it and did some shooting.  The mount works well.  The scope rings they sent with it are way to low.  I didn't have any high Weaver rings so I mounted a short (cheapie) scope on it that I had laying around.  It shot well even with the cheap scope.  Next time I'm in town I'll pick up a set of higher rings for it and put a better scope on it.  I've been taking the goatling down to the shack with me to browse while I reload ammo.  It gets him into some new areas to eat new stuff.  Haven't caught a gopher in several days.  They may be going into hibernation now.

We've been cleaning up around the place a bit. We brought an old pickup box trailer (used mostly for hauling wood) up and are going through some storage areas to get rid of some clutter. Susan's also been busy collecting and drying herbs in addition to the peas we've been shelling and drying and the huckleberries we're drying.  The pictures show better than words the drying racks all over the cabin.  The humidity has been high the last few days from all the rain and cloudy weather.  That means we can't run the electric dehydrator on solar power and the high humidity makes air drying them a slow process.  Susan puts some things in the oven to let the pilot light add a little heat to speed the drying but we still need to run the generator some.  We have some huckleberries in the refrigerator in addition to those on the drying racks.  The chickens are starting to molt but are still putting out about 5 eggs a day.  The goat is basically an eating machine.  He was playing around the other day and butted me in the back of the leg so we had to have an attitude adjustment.  I don't think he'll want to do that again.  It's not a big deal now but when he gets up over 200 pounds it will be a big deal.  Better for everyone that he learn his manners now.

No comments:

Post a Comment