Saturday, November 18, 2017

April, May, June 2017

This is the condensed version since I am so far behind.

Scott taking in the campfire at the Overton Wildlife Management Area.

This is an old picnic area near Overtone.  It was quite a ride up to it.  At this point we are near the boundaries of Valley of Fire.

Getting ready to hit the road.  The hamburgers are for consumption that evening.  The pork chops will be frozen and taken with us on the road.  They make great meals on the road.  We don't have to heat them up.  We just set them on the dashboard for a couple of hours to warm up and eat them that way.

I got a call from my mother that a tree was going to fall on our camper we have stored in her yard.  No one could take care of it for a couple of weeks and she wanted it down before it fell down.  I took a plane out of Vegas then spent a week at my mother's.  Day one I took down the tree.  After that there was another project.

My sister's grandson started a fire behind their garage.  By the time the fire department got it out it had burned a bunch of siding off the back of the garage.  My mother (who is in her 80's) and I cleared off the burned siding and underlayment then began putting new siding on.

A couple of days later we were finished except for the painting which they would finish up.

We began heading toward home again.  Here we are at the Dave Deacon Campground at the Kirsch WMA in central Nevada.  It's one of our favorite places because of the free camping (with water hydrants available and outhouses) and it also has a hot spring there for swimming.

We had our four-wheelers with us and did some exploring in the area.  The dust we kicked up was kind of bad and the sun was pretty direct so this is how I dressed for our daily rides. I also wore gloves to protect my hands from sunburn.

On our rides we were going several miles each way to the mountains to ride the trails and roads so we moved our camp out there. There was no water but we packed enough to get us by awhile and just rode to the campground when we needed more.

It was a really great time.  Our campsite was sheltered in the trees from the wind and private.  We were the only people there camping and we saw only a couple more on our travels over the miles and miles of old dirt roads that laced the area.

There were springs all through the surrounding desert, valleys and mountains.  They were all fenced off to keep livestock out and the water piped down to stock tanks so that critters in the area could have fresh, clean water to drink.

The sun hanging low in the western sky.

Winter killed? Disease? Predators?  The cause of death is impossible to ascertain but even in death nothing goes to waste in the wild.

This guy was a daily resident at the campground.  Every morning we'd watch it come flying back with a fish then sit on this power pole to enjoy his meal.

Back home in Montana.  We took the U-Haul camper to a local lake for a few days of fishing, kayaking, hiking and camping. Buttercup, our Pomeranian that we acquired through animal control, is anxiously waiting in the basket to hit the road on a bike ride.

One of the small waterfalls near the lake.

Scott and Susan float past an old beaver lodge.

We did some exploring and some fishing and just enjoyed our time on the lake.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

March 16-31 Gold Butte

I'm way behind on my blog (it's now the middle of August!!!!) so the next several will be primarily photos. This batch is from the time we spent in the Gold Butte area above Lake Mead.

Friday, June 16, 2017

March 1-15, 2017 Desert fun!

Due to the large number of photos (I already edited out over one-hundred to get it down to this number!) there won't be a lot of commentary.  The order is off on some because they were taken with four different cameras and it was too much trouble to properly sort them (Okay, I just don't have time, I'm too lazy, blah, blah, blah!).  Anyway I hope you enjoy them.

Working on the motor home here. Both of these switches have been broken for awhile (the plastic lever is gone) so I decided to replace them.

The fuel pump on the motor home.  I replaced this one.  It's kind of a booster pump used when the fuel tanks are far away from the engine.  Sometimes the main pump needs some help.

Fuel leak at the rear tank on the Ford camper van.  Maybe the fuel mileage will improve?

This is one of the places we camped off the beaten path.  It has a 4x4 trail going several miles down to the lake.

This is along the road next to our camp.  You can see both Stewarts Point and Echo Bay from here. (Of course you need binoculars!)

Same place as the photo above only looking the opposite direction.

Supper time!

These wild horses were waiting just outside the camp the first morning after our arrival.

A little later in the morning one posed for us on a nearby knoll.

Our camp was late getting the morning sun due to ...

... this guy being in the way!

More riding and hiking.

This little canyon goes over to the shoreline of Lake Mead.

 Break time!

Goofy time!

This was taken on the other side of the lake near Gold Butte.  Most of the photos following were taken in this area.

Now we're back to the earlier campsite.  These two photos were taken from our camp site using the highest setting on my camera's telephoto.  I think there are a couple of desert bighorns in there.

Same location a half-hour later.  Possibly same two sheep.

This is a rock "window" above the first camp site.

That's our camp viewed through the "window."

Echo Bay viewed from the camp.

Stewarts Point viewed from camp.

Taken from the same location as the photo above only with less magnification.

We saw holes like this drilled into choke points in the wash we hiked in.  Don't have a clue why or for what purpose!

The final photos are from explorations around the camp near Gold Butte.