I began draining the last five barrels as soon as I got up this morning (about 6:30 am). We began the day with huckleberry pancakes and a trip into town to fill up two of our 100 lb. propane bottles and four gas cans. On the way through we stopped at the post office and I had a contract for an article sale to sign and send back in. While we were in Eureka I bought my deer and elk tags, bird license and a trapping license. That set us back $65.00. I also picked up a set of high Weaver rings. (I know you aren't supposed to carry propane bottles that way but we had no choice today. The Dodge is deadlined for carburetor repair and we haven't put any insurance on it yet.)
When we got back we had lunch then I started the generator so Susan could begin watering the garden. I siphoned the last barrel into the tank as she was watering the garden. While we had the generator running Susan ran both electric dehydrators and I put a battery on the fast charger. I let the goat out to browse then started to work on the Dodge.
I mentioned in a previous post that the carburetor was leaking on the Dodge. I was going to get the numbers off the carburetor to order a kit for it but wanted to check the gas leak out first. I found out that the previous owner had put some sealer over a crack in the float bowl and the sealer had come lose. I drained the carburetor by pinching off the fuel intake line to the fuel pump and running the motor until it died. Then I brought the air compressor over and blew the gunk off the side. That's when I found the lose sealer and the cracked float bowl. I looked for an hour trying to find my JB Weld but never did. It will have to wait until the next time we go into town. The yellow marks are to show how far out I want to go with the JB Weld when I fix the cracked bowl.
I re-shot some of the carburetor photos just before posting this. The cat decided to come supervise. It started by checking out the cartburetor then decided to explore inside the front fender. When I took the second photo I was finished with the picture taking and the mosquitoes were trying to drain my blood supply. I called the cat and we retreated to the cabin.
Susan had finished watering the garden and was filling the last in-garden water tank when the hose started blowing air. I jogged over to the pump and shut it off. The tank was definitely dry! At least it will kill off any mosquito larvea that were in the water.
There were four chickens trying to all drink at the same time from the water bowl but two walked away before I could get the camera out. It was comical to watch as one at a time they'd take some water then lift their heads up to swallow. It was almost like a dance they were doing.
While Susan was watering the garden I cut the patch of alfalfa and laid it out to dry into hay. I get a big hand full of it near the ground then use a hand scythe to cut it.
You can see some of it laid out to dry behind me. I have another row I'm putting this batch in. We only cut it once this summer. We should have cut it twice.
After the garden work was finished we sat in the living room to do some things. Susan is pulling the dried mint leaves from the stalk and crushing them to store in a jar.
I was shelling peas.
The cat was supervising.
There are few small forest fires going in the area. Our son was called out to one north of us a few miles. They got it under controll quickly using Forest Service helicopters (2) and one plane plus the ground crew. The Forest Service has done a fine job getting the fires out quickly the last couple of years. We hope that they keep it up!
We had ham and (multiple) bean soup for supper. Susan made it in the solar cooker. She made huckleberry muffins for an evening snack. (She makes the world's best huckleberry muffins!)