Saturday, January 30, 2016

31 January, 2018 Desert Wanderings

So, what do you do when you're enjoying sunshiny days while you're stuck out in the southern Nevada desert in January and most of your friends and family are in the grip of cloudy, cold, and snowy winter days way up in northern Montana?

You have campfires and toast marshmallows in the evenings.

You explore desert washes on sunny afternoons.

This one and the photo above are on the "road" going to Fire Cove at Lake Mead.  The road in this instance is a wash going down to the cove.  A lot of the back country roads are like this because they do no harm to the desert surface because the next time it rains the tracks are filled in with sand and rocks.  Of course you have to keep an eye on the weather.  A heavy rain miles upstream can send a rushing torrent of water down these things.  Getting caught in a flash flood is not a recommended experience.

At the end of the road we took a burro trail around to the next wash over.  I saw this little group of barrel cactus growing on the hillside.  I've never seen them in a group like this before.

Fire Cove.  The lake (Lake Mead) used to come up this high but it has a serious water shortage at this time.

We visited a friend whose little dog "Gibby" is one of Scott's favorite playmates.

Scott found one of the old video game controls at the thrift store.  The games it has programmed in were some of the originals us "old" people played when a big hard drive on a computer was 80 MB.

Scott and his winter tree at the library.  Some of the kids who live here have never actually touched snow.  Scott, of course, was eager to tell them all about what real snow was like.

Scott, in his never ending quest for independence, insisted on pumping up his own tires. 

Susan is drying some spinach leaves over the fire grate sitting on the dash of our motor home.

This is on a trail just west of our motor home.  Scott walked a couple of miles before he asked to ride on Papa's shoulders.

We graveled our parking spot by transferring gravel from the edge of the road to the front of our motor home where we park the car.  The soil has a lot of sand and clay in it and turns to a sticky muck when it rains.  This way we can get in and out of the car without wading through the mud.

Scott came up topside with me to help seal some roof leaks.  The solar panels are 135 watts each which gives us plenty of power to run the refrigerator and the lights along with enough for a nightly movie on the television (Blue Ray player) and to keep all of the electronics charged up.  The wind generator provides up to four hundred watts of power on windy days or nights.  As I type this the wind is howling outside so power is not problem tonight (and probably for the next three days).

This is in a little wash about a quarter-mile from our camper.  Scott likes jumping off the edge into the wash below.  This was about his twentieth jump.

This is another wash we hiked up that is outside of town (Overton) a few miles.  This photo was taken from the far end which dead-ended against some cliffs.

Scott doing what he likes doing best ... climbing on rocks.

Scott in one of his favorite shirts (he calls it the "bone guy shirt") along with his favorite bone guy bike helmet.

We set up our 25 power binoculars to see what we could see.  The tripod is a necessity.  Otherwise there's so much "shake" you can't focus on anything.  It's a lot of fun at night for star gazing too.

Scott and I both like shooting our bows.

Susan took this looking through the binoculars with her camera (on her phone).  The arrow points to a wild burro (in the circle) that's on the other side of the lake about three miles away. You can see it a lot better with your eye instead of the camera.

We took another little walk through the desert going southwest from our camper.  Our motor home is the little white dot to the left of center in the photo.

Scott was doing his best to fill in the wash in front of him with rocks.  I was looking for coyotes through the binoculars.  These are only ten power.  I didn't see any coyotes but I did spot a couple of rabbits about a half-mile away.

Susan in her "office."  We're both early risers so we do our writing between 6:00 until Scott gets up around 8:00 or later.  That's my breakfast cooking on top of the wood stove I made out of a 30 lb. propane cylinder.  I already made sausage.

We were on one of our hikes when Scott told Susan he was cold.  She gave him her sweatshirt/jacket.  He used it about 10 minutes then decided he didn't need it anymore and gave it back. 

This was taken in the canyon outside of Overton.  The opening is hand dug and goes back in about 20 feet.  I don't have a clue why it was excavated.  I thought the "rock" formation was cool the way it had been kind of rolled over at some point in the past.

Susan and Scott climbing up the rocks to a series of small pools at the base of the cliffs.

More rock "squiggles."  

This is the old access road to Stewarts Point at Lake Mead.  It was closed and made into a walking trail.  If you follow it down to the lake you'll end up in front of our motor home.

We rode bicycles down it instead of walking.

Scott helping grandma fix supper.

Barbecued chicken breast with sweet potatoes inside the foil.

The cell service is marginal at best inside the motor home or at ground level so Susan took this call (and the folding chair) on the roof of the motor home.

While we were messing around with the high powered binoculars I spotted this eagle on it's perch.  I quickly put my camera on the tripod and took it's picture.  This is on 200 power telephoto.

No comments:

Post a Comment